Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Read a Sample Chapter from OLD DESTIN Through the Eyes of a Child, by Capt. Ben Marler, Destin, Florida

WHEN GOD SPOKE TO MY DAD

When my dad was only 21, he captained a small fishing vessel owned by one of the fishing companies in Pensacola. It was only about 35 feet long, but built for heavy weather fishing. Like all the others in their fleet, it was wind powered by a single sail.
To move the boat from the pier to open water where the sail could be raised, a small motor had been installed. It was only large enough for this purpose, not for later where it could be credited in saving my dad's life. When daddy re-told this story he always repeated the sounds it made when running. He said it sounded like "chug, chug, chug.” It only had one cylinder, making it simple and reliable. It may have produced about 5-7 horse power, which wasn't much for a heavily built boat like this one.
The story begins when he and his small crew had sailed some miles from shore, off what is now known as Sandestin. The bottom there was filled with rocks, holes and best of all, lots of really fine red snapper and grouper.
One night the weather seemed to worsen by the hour. They didn't know if it was simply "bad weather" or what, but now it was really getting to be almost too much for them. When the waves suddenly began to crash over the boat, it was obvious that they were in a terrible storm and they needed to go home. The rocking violence of the waves helped to dislodge the anchor from the bottom and when it was re-secured, my dad instinctively pointed the bow to the north.
All he had for navigation was a compass and a sounding lead but he knew which way to head the boat towards land. He sent one man down below to crank the engine and to keep adding fuel to its small fuel tank. The other crew members were soon tied to the mast, like we've seen in movies where rough waters were sweeping some of the sailors overboard. There wasn't a way in the world to raise the sail, for the explosive wind would have instantly ripped it away. They were being furiously battered by what they believed was a hurricane.
To understand the seriousness of their situation, consider the facts that first of all, no one knew exactly where they were. Second, there were no USCG vessels or aircraft to seek them out and rescue them like we have today. And finally, their position placed them between Pensacola and Panama City, each having an entrance from the Gulf large enough for ships to pass, but each one was about 50 miles away. My dad felt his only hope was to somehow make it close enough to land so that the men could dive overboard and swim to shore on their own. Now to top it off, they didn't have anything resembling a life jacket on board. Had they entered the water, all of them would have surely drowned.
Only God knew what He was going to do, and He kept it a secret for a long time. The storm stayed upon them during the night and into dawn, and it raged on, as only one can. When daylight finally arrived, it was an incredible scene that would have brought most folks to despair, but not my dad. He'd been praying from the beginning, and he knew God had heard him. When nightfall came, he was doing his best to keep the bow headed to the north, the small engine still chugging away down below. I wouldn't have wanted to be the man who kept it going and that's for sure.
All during the following night the storm forces beat around them, until what my dad called "the wee hours of the morning" when God spoke to him. What the Lord said to him would have shaken me. He said, "Turn the boat around.” I would have answered, Lord, please, let me keep going for surely we're getting near shore now. But not my dad. With a courage instilled in him by the Lord, he obeyed and for hours, he kept doing his best to keep the boat's bow headed out to sea.
When daylight finally came, it was clear that they were near shore for the wind and waves had been continually sweeping them along. As the vessel crested on a wave, one of the men cried out, "Destin Pass.” God had brought the small vessel to the entrance of our narrow and shallow pass, and with the tide headed into the bay. All my dad had to do was swing the bow around and enter the safety of what's now called Destin harbor.
My mom told me that folks had gathered to watch, kneeling, crying and praying, after a small girl had spotted their bobbing mast just offshore. It was a miracle they were safe and with very little damage to the boat. I was told by Captain Jewel Melvin that dad's boat had hit bottom while crossing the shallow bar at the entrance, causing it to leak some, but that was it.
The greatest result to come from this storm was my dad's enduring love for God. From the moment they sailed in from the storm, no man loved the Lord more than him.
Now to add to the story, let's remember he married my mom in 1935, three years later. Then, it took him two years to convince her to have another child. In 1938, God made me and brought me into the world, something that wouldn't have happened if my dad hadn't listened and obeyed Him. Let's also remember just how physically exhausted he and his crew were at the time. They hadn't eaten anything, for they were too busy just hanging on to the vessel trying to survive, as the waves washed over them. It was a terrifying experience for all of them, but one that God used to mold my dad into the most wonderful Christian I've ever met.
Afterwards, my dad became a giver like his dad, my grandpa Marler. When something was needed at the church, he would volunteer to get it, even when he didn't have the money. My mom would often ask him after he returned from one of the meetings where they were planning the church building, "What did you promise this time." After he told her, she would say, "But, we don't have the money, Ben.” His reply was always the same, "I know, but the Lord will help me to make it." And He always did.
When my dad left for Heaven, he had two 100-passenger vessels at the dock, with another one under construction in Biloxi. The stores he built on the highway were going strong. He used to say, "I'm glad I can give people work." Thank you Lord for saving my dad and his crew. I want to serve You as much as I can, like he and my mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment